On the 3rd July 2023 our appointment system will be changing.
This is to reflect the new NHS GP contract changes stating that patients should be offered an assessment of need, or signposted to an appropriate service, at first contact with the practice.
In order to meet our high appointment demands and to ensure all patients who need to consult with a GP can get an appointment with one, our reception team will:
- Redirect minor ailments issues to our community or in-house pharmacists.
- When appropriate, offer an appointment with our other highly skilled clinical team members e.g. in-house Nurse Practitioners, Pharmacists, First Contact Practitioners, Social Prescribers and other Health Care Professionals.
- Signpost patients directly to other community services e.g. podiatry, antenatal clinics, physiotherapists etc. to ensure patients can access their service directly without needing to use a GP appointment.
- Consult with a Duty Doctor who works in the reception area when they need an assistance with redirecting your query to the right team member or service.
Other important changes:
- There is no need to call the surgery at 8.00am to arrange a routine appointment.
- Patients will now be able to pre-book appointments up to two weeks in advance for both telephone consultation as well as face to face appointments.
- Telephone appointments can be pre-booked online via Patient Online Access services / NHS app.
- Face to face appointments to discuss new issues with our regular doctors will now be 15min long.
- Test results and follow up appointments should be booked in with a requesting clinician.
Through the changes made, we hope to achieve a sustainable model of care, improved access and a better continuity of care for our patients. At the same time, we are taking into consideration the wellbeing of our staff impacted by high workload and its demands.
We will be reviewing and evaluating the new system over the next few weeks and months. Please do not hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to provide us with a constructive feedback.
Herne Hill Group Practice.